The Club is open to any member of the general public from an age of 12 years and above.
The Club is open for all members at the following times:
- Wednesday 9am to 3pm;
- Sunday 10am to 4pm.
The Club has field trips. On some occasions field trips may travel outside the Hunter Valley but this is on rare occasions.
The aim of field trips is for members to:
- Locate and identify stones, gems and fossil;
- Enjoy a pleasant day in the country with other members.
The Hunter Valley Gemmology Club conducts an intra-club competition in the following areas:
- Cabachons – novice and open – standard cabachon minimum size 18mm-13mm and freeform;
- Faceting – novice, intermediate and open – four (4) stones may be cut in each section;
- Silver Jewellery – novice and open – hand fabricated no lapidary items & hand fabricated with lapidary items cut and set by entrant;
- Lost Wax Casting – novice and open;
- Opal – curved or domed top doublet and triplet;
- Gem trees and novelty – novelty gem craft and gem trees;
All sections of the competition are judged by outside accredited judges and are judged to the rules as laid down by the Lapidary Council.